Prajakta Gogte is a kathak student and lives in Fairfax, VA with her husband and two kids.
1.When did you start dancing and who are your gurus?
I started dancing at the age of 5, my gurus are – Guru Rekha Nadgauda, Pandita Maneesha Sathe and Guru Purvi Bhatt.
2. How do you prep for a dance performance?
I listen to the music first, learn the choreography piece by piece and practice. After the choreography is done, I practice it from start to end a couple of times. On the performance day, I warm up at home doing the item a couple of times.
3. What’s your favorite dance item or music piece you listen to when you want to connect to dance?
Tarana, Chaturang, Sargam music
4. How would you describe an amazing dancer and do you have any inspiring role models?
A person with grace, expression, skill and to top it all – a great human being at heart. My role model is my guru – Pandita Maneesha Sathe tai.
5. What is the most important life lesson you have learnt because of dancing?
Confidence and satisfaction of achieving your dreams / passion
6. In your eyes, what’s your biggest achievement or moment of satisfaction (in dance)?
Biggest achievement was to receive National Talent Scholarship in Kathak Dance and moment of satisfaction is to be able to continue and pursue Dance under the blessings of my Gurus – Pandita MAneesha Sathe and Guru Purvi
7. It’s the year 2024 – where do you see yourself in the dance field?
Having achieved my Visharad Poorna ( 7th Exam in Kathak Dance – getting a Graduate degree in Kathak Dance) and having established myself as an accomplished dancer and performer.
Like getting to know the dancer? Check the others out too!