Reva Nair is a student of Kathak and is a 10th grader at Oakton High school in Fairfax, VA. She and her sister both learn and perform Kathak under their guru, Mrs. Purvi Bhatt’s guidance.
1.When did you start dancing and who are your gurus?
My mom says I started dancing even before I was born. but I started taking Kathak lessons at the age of 5. Mrs Purvi Bhatt is my Guru. I also learn north Indian classical vocal music which helps with bhaav and taal in dance pieces like Gat Bhaav, Bhajan, Hori
2. How do you prep for a dance performance?
I listen to the music piece constantly, visualizing the dance steps. I attend extra practices with my Guru and at home focus on the portions that need more finesse.
3. What’s your favorite dance item or music piece you listen to when you want to connect to dance?
it’s a Hori piece in raga Shuddh Sarang, on keherva taal
4. How would you describe an amazing dancer and do you have any inspiring role models?
An amazing dancer keeps technique and emotions in mind performs with devotion. Somebody who can move the audience with their performance. They know their dance form very well but easily fall in love with other dance forms and enjoy dancing! My Guru Mrs Purvi Bhatt and her Guru Mrs Maneesha Saathe. My sister Reva is also my role model.
5. What is the most important life lesson you have learnt because of dancing?
It’s important to have a passion which will bring you comfort and joy, even when life doesn’t seem like at it’s best.
6. In your eyes, what’s your biggest achievement or moment of satisfaction (in dance)?
The first time I got a solo part in the karadi dance piece. Many people in the audience applauded my expressions and I felt very happy to have delivered on something that my Guru constantly asks us to focus on.
7. It’s the year 2024 – where do you see yourself in the dance field?
I will be in College collaborating with dance artists from various genres to perform for joy! I hope to find every opportunity to come back to fairfax and take more lessons from Purvi aunty.